Neureos are flaky pastries loaded with a sweet filling. Christmas in Goa is incomplete without neureos. These are called neureos in goa and Karanji in Maharashtra. We Goans prepare these neureos in every house but with different fillings.
1. Keep ingredients ready.
2. For outer cover:- Knead the flour with ghee, salt and water. Keep dough aside, covered with a wet cloth for at least an hour.
3. Make the filling:- In a pan, add water and sugar, bring it to a boil. Add the nuts and raisins. Cook for about 2-3 mins. Add the coconut and the ghee. Keep stirring.
4. Add cardamom powder and a pinch salt. Cook mixture for about 10-15 mins on low flame till all water is dried up completely. Cool this filling completely before using it.
5. To make the neureos:- Divide dough into 36 small balls. Take few balls at a time and roll out into a circle. Put filling on each circle.
6. Seal opposite edges using water to form moon shape. Using neureo cutter(or use pizza cutter) cut the edges for a neater look.
7. Keep neureos ready for deep frying. Deep fry neureos on medium low flame, till you get a nice golden brown color on the crust. Drain neureos on a paper towel.
8. Cool completely. Store in an air tight container. Serve.