This dry chicken recipe comes from Mangalore. Chicken cooked in a spice mix, along with poppy seeds and coconut.
- Cuisine Indian
- Course Main Course
- Serves 8
- Method Slow-cook
- Difficulty Hard
- Cook Time 2 hour(s) 30 minute(s)
1. Clean chicken. Marinate with 1/2 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon red chili powder, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste and juice of 1/2 lime. Mix well and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
2. In the mean time in a pan dry roast the whole garam masala till fragrant. Remove from the flame.
3. Dry roast poppy seeds/ khaskhas till it changes color.
4. Using a mortar and pestle make a fine powder of the whole garam masala.
5. Next in the same mortar and pestle add the poppy seeds, 2 tablespoons red chili powder and dry desiccated coconut.
6. Adding little water at a time, make a paste of the ingredients. You can use a mixer to make the paste just remember that the paste has to be thick and semi dry.
7. In a pan heat oil and add the whole green chilies. Next add thinly sliced onion.
8. Saute the onion till golden brown. Next add in the masala paste and saute for ten minutes.
9. Add the remaining 1/4 tablespoon of salt. Add in the chicken.
10. Stir the chicken and let it cook on a slow simmer in its own juices. If the gravy gets too dry add a little bit of water. But you will not need extra water since the chicken will ooze out water as it cooks. Cover and cook till chicken is done, stirring occasionally.
11. Add in coriander leaves and cook till oil separates out.
12. Serve hot with roti or naan.