Doodh Pedo is a tradition Goan sweet made with evaporating milk. Here is a twist on this traditional recipe you can make this Diwali. It a time consuming process but well worth the effort!
1. In a wide mouthed pan, add the milk along with a steel spoon. The spoon will prevent the milk from sticking to the bottom. Stir every 15 minutes or so. Let the milk reduce to half. From this point onwards stir every 3-5 minutes until the milk reduces to 1/4th. The milk should thicken at this point. Remove the spoon.
2. Add in the sugar and stir continuously. Let the milk thicken even more.
3. Add in the cardamom powder and let the mixture reduce till pliable. At this point you can take it off the heat, cool it and make pedas.
4. However, I added some color to the mixtures at this point. Cool the mixture until warm. Apply ghee to your hands and roll into diya shapes.
5. For the flame, add yellow color to sliced almonds. Add this on top of the diya.
6. Let them cool and solidify at room temperature. Impress your guests and kids with these creative peda!