Falafel are deep fried middle eastern chickpea fritters.
1. Soak the chickpeas in water overnight. You need to use dry rehydrated raw chickpeas for this recipe. Drain all the water. In a food processor, add the chickpeas, salt, red chili powder, cumin and coriander powders.
2. Also add in the coriander/parsley leaves, onion, garlic and lemon juice. Pulse until a coarse mixture is formed. Do not make a fine paste or the mixture will be watery and you will not be able to form the balls.
3. Take a little bit of the mixture and form round balls. If your mixture becomes soft, just add a few teaspoons of flour.
4. Set the balls aside of a plate. Put in the freezer for at least 20 minutes. Heat oil in the mean time. Once oil is hot fry till golden brown on both sides.
5. Remove on a tissue to soak the excess oil. Serve hot in a pita bread sandwich or labna (middle eastern yogurt).