Kalakand is a popular Milk Burfee(fudge) with a creamy and grainy texture.
1. Boil the 4 cups of milk in a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally.Once the milk comes to a boil, add the lemon juice and keep stirring until it curdles and turn off the stove.
2. Drain the whey using a muslin or cheese cloth and obtain the ricotta/paneer curd from the cloth. Rinse under cold water and let the water drain completely.
3. In a separate pan heat the remaining milk until the milk condenses to half the quantity. Stir continuously to avoid burning. Scrap the sides occasionally and mix it back in the milk.
4. Add the paneer in the condensed milk and stir until it forms a homogenous mixture without lumps.
5. Add the sugar and continue stirring until the mixture comes together in one soft mass and starts leaving the pan.
6. Pour it over a greased dish to form a half inch thick layer. Let it cool completely and cut into pieces. Garnish with the chopped pistachios.Don't let the milk burn at any point.When you add paneer make sure it is completely mixed in without lumps into the milk.You can also use readymade condensed milk and paneer for a shorter preparation time.