A delicious Indian Milk Fudge. Paalakova is a special andhra sweet eaten during Sankranthi and other festivals
- Cuisine Andhra
- Course Desserts
- Serves 40
- Method Stovetop
- Difficulty Hard
- Cook Time 1 hour(s) 10 minute(s)
1. Take the milk in the pan and heat it on medium flame.Start stirring continuously until it comes to a boil(a little foam forms on the top). (if you can manage to prevent the milk from sticking to the pan you can use high flame which is quicker, the important point is the milk shouldn't stick to the pan or become brown)
2. Now turn the flame to high and keep stirring ,scrape the sides and keep adding to the boiling milk.
3. After around 30 minutes the milk will reduce by half and come together in a thick creamy consistency. Keep stirring until it loses some more moisture(at any point if you think your milk is getting browned feel free to turn down the flame) .
4. After 20 more minutes the milk will lose most of the moisture and will become thick and lightly beige colored. Turn heat to medium-low and add sugar as per your taste At this stage add sugar.
5. The mixture will get a little watery,keep stirring it on a medium-low flame until the mixture gets thick,ie when you draw a figure 8 with your spoon, it should hold shape for a few seconds.
6. Refrigerate the kova for about half an hour. Take some ghee on your palm and roll the kova into 1 inch diameter roundels.I find it easier to serve when placed in candy wrappers.Use a big broad pan, preferably nonstick for this preparation so that the milk doesn't burn or spill but yet gets done quicker. Use full fat milk for this preparation to get the creamy deliciousness of kova. This has to be stirred continuously, leaving it even for a minute can make your milk stick to the pan and get the burnt residue and taste into the kova and a kova that is brown in color. You can make any variation of this sweet,for example,add toasted fresh coconut in the end to make coconut kova,add cocoa powder for chocolate kova,blueberry puree or strawberry puree for fruit kova.Or vanilla flavoring or almond extract for other flavors.If adding liquids for flavor add them in step 4.