Green Mango Flavored rice tempered in spices
1. Cook the rice with 3 cups water. The rice should be cooked but separate and not mushy. If your rice cooker needs more water add a little more. Take it in a bowl, separate the grains and let cool.
2. Melt ghee in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When they start spluttering add the cashew and peanuts and roast until lightly brown.
3. Turn the heat to medium and add the chana dal, cumin and urad dal and let them turn light brown.
4. Add the red chillis, green chilli, ginger, curry leaves, salt, turmeric powder and asafoetida. Roast for a minute.
5. Add the grated mango and saute for 4 minutes and turn off heat.
6. Add the tempering to the rice and with a fork, mix until combined. Adjust salt. Let sit for an hour for the flavors to develop and serve. Can be served with yogurt. Add more mango if you want a more tangy rice. The mango has to be green and not ripe.