Fried sweet dough cookies made especially during Diwali in Goa.
1. In a pan add ghee, sugar, salt and water.
2. Mix all ingredients together and heat till sugar dissolves. Turn the gas off and let the mixture cool.
3. Once cool add in maida little at a time and knead the dough. The dough will be stretchy. Do not worry about it. Once it is rolled it will be fine.
4. In the mean time heat oil for frying the shankarpalli.
5. Make small dough balls and roll it out. The dough should not be too thin or too thick.
6. Use a shankarpalli cutter or pizza cutter and cut diamond or square shapes as shown below.
7. Make sure the oil is hot by adding small piece of dough. If it rises immediately, the oil is ready. Add a bunch of shankarpalli to the oil.
8. Fry till golden brown. Keep a close eye since they tend to burn easily. Remove in a bowl lined with paper towels to remove the excess oil.
9. Cool the shankarpalli and store in a air tight container. You can save and enjoy them for up to a month.