Kolache is a type of pastry that is topped with sweet fruit topping. There are also savory versions of this Czech delicacy. Here is a kolache topped with spinach and cheese mixture. Enjoy!
- Cuisine Other International
- Course Appetizers
- Serves 9
- Method Baking
- Difficulty Hard
- Cook Time 2 hour(s)
1. For the spinach filling: Pulse the frozen spinach in a food processor. Place in a pan with 1 tablespoon butter and cook for around 10 minutes. I think this works better with frozen spinach because it is easy to get rid of the water in the next step. It also gives a good texture to the filling.
2. Turn the flame off. Strain the water from the spinach. Keep the spinach separate. Heat the remaining butter in a pan, add 1 tablespoon maida. Saute till the maida turns light brown.
3. Add in the cream cheese and the spinach.
4. Also add in pepper powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
5. Mix well and keep aside. In a mixing bowl, add sugar, yeast and 1 cup of warm water and leave it for proofing.
6. Once the yeast has proofed, add in one egg, 3 cups maida, milk powder and mix on a medium speed till you get a soft dough. Add the oil. Add water if needed.
7. Cover and keep the dough to rise in a oiled vessel in a warm place for at least 45 minutes. Now, cut the dough into small pieces of desired size. I could make around 17 with this recipe. Form into balls and set aside for another 10 minutes. In the mean time pre heat the oven to 350 degrees.
8. Now using the end of a cup or a measuring cup, form a small indentation in the middle of flattened dough balls. Place on a sheet greased and powdered with maida to prevent them from sticking. Apply egg wash. Fill the indentation with the spinach filling.
9. Top with mozzarella cheese. Bake for 25 minutes or till golden brown. Enjoy warm!