A very popular sweet during christmas. Popularly known as Neureos in Goa and Sweet Karanji in Maharashtra.
- Cuisine Indian
- Course Snacks
- Serves 25
- Method Deep-fry
- Difficulty Hard
- Cook Time 5 hour(s) 40 minute(s)
1. Mix Semolina and refined wheat flour (maida) along with salt .Add hot cooking oil in it .Then mix this thoroughly. Add milk to this.
2. Knead the dough and set aside for 3 to 4 hours.
3. Take grated coconut in a fry pan add ghee to it. Stir it for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep gas on medium heat. Add sugar to it and stir it for 10 minutes till it attains golden color. Stuffing should get completely dry.
4. Add green cardamom powder, almond, and cashews. Now stuffing is ready.
5. Process the dough through food processor so it gets soft and smooth. This helps in getting Karanji (Neuris) crispy. Make small balls of dough as shown.
6. Roll dough in tortilla shape with rolling pin and fill stuffing in it.
7. After filling the stuffing close it as shown. Cut the half round edges by cutter. (Cutter are available in market). Press the edges together.
8. After cutting with the cutter Karanji (Neuris) should look like seen in the picture.
9. The shape can be closed with hand as shown. This is also known as 'Murad Karanji'.
10. Then deep fry these Karanjis (Neuris) in oil till it gets gold brown color.