Bolinhas, pronounced as bolinyas are goan coconut cookies that are lightly browned crisp on the outside and soft inside, crumbles in your mouth and as always leaving you with the desire to have one more. It is a tea time treat that can be enjoyed during any time of the year but without bolinhas as Christmas sweets your Christmas sweets platter would be incomplete.
1. Make sugar syrup by heating the sugar in 1/2 a cup of water. Stir the sugar well and bring it to a boil.
2. Add the Rawa to the sugar syrup and mix it well.
3. Grind the coconut with 1/4th cup water. Add the ground coconut to rawa mixture, mix well.
4. Add salt and ghee, keep stirring it, until it forms a nice blend. Once done, you can take the mixture off the fire. Leave this mixture aside for at least 6 hours or overnight in fridge.
5. Then mix the egg yolks with the Bolinha mixture.
6. Next, add cardamom powder, all-purpose flour and baking powder to the mixture. Stir well.
7. Now beat the one egg white till frothy. Add it to the Bolinha mixture, that's the final ingredient to the Bolinha dough.
8. To shape the bolinhas, take about 1 tbsp each of the bolinha dough, place on a flour sprinkled surface and shape it, make diamonds using toothpick.
9. Preheat oven at 375 deg F. Place bolinhas on a baking tray sprinkled with some flour. Bake for 15 mins with base heat , then for a nice brown color on top for bolinhas, turn ON the top heat of over for about a min.
10. Cool the bolinhas completely on a wire rack. NOTE:- This mixture makes about 40 pieces of bolinhas. (If 1 tbsp each of bolinha dough is used during baking)