Tiramisu is a dessert from Italy, made with mascarpone cheese and whipped cream, lady fingers and coffee based syrup. Here is my attempt to make a cake with the similar concept.
1. In a bowl take hot water and add the instant coffee and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Mix well.
2. Add in 2 tablespoon each of coffee liquor and rum. Set this syrup aside. In a separate bowl, take mascarpone cheese at room temperature, add 3 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon each of coffee liquor and rum. Mix well until you get a smooth paste.
3. In a mixing bowl, take heavy whipping cream and 2 tablespoons of sugar and whip at a high speed.
4. Now fold the whipped cream and mascarpone mixer gently together. This is your filling and icing.
5. Take a 12 x 12 fatless sponge cake, making sure there is no hard crust on top. Refer to bongong.com for recipe. Soak the sponge with the syrup. Save 1/3 of the syrup to soak the ladyfingers in.
6. Once well soaked, spread a layer of whipped cream-mascarpone filling. Dust with cocoa powder. You can also use grated chocolate to give added taste.
7. Soak the lady fingers in the coffee syrup and lay on the cake to make a second layer.
8. Cover the lady fingers with icing. Cover the entire cake with the whipped cream- mascarpone ice cream and smooth out the edges.
9. Dust with cocoa powder or chocolate shavings and decorate as you please. Refrigerate until ready to cut. Enjoy cold.