A famous Goan root vegetable found mostly during the end of monsoons, rava fried the Goan way
1. If you have sensitive skin make sure you wear gloves while handling suran because it can sometimes be itchy. Peel the skin off suran. Cut the suran into long thin pieces.
2. Add the tamarind paste to the pieces and set aside. This helps to remove the itchiness and enhance the taste.
3. For the masala: Mix the rava, turmeric, salt and red chili powder together.
4. Coat the suran pieces with the masala.
5. Heat oil in a frying pan. Once hot add the suran pieces.
6. Add 1/4 cup water and cover the pan for approx. 2 minutes.
7. Open and let the suran cook till all the water evaporates. Turn the pieces and let them cook on the other side.
8. Serve hot. It is usually served as an accompaniment to a vegetarian Goan meal.