Khatkhati are coconut and jaggery cookies/candy that is made in Goa. This recipe brings back many fond childhood memories for me. I loved the smell of caramelizing jaggery when my mom made these.
1. Powder the roasted chana dal and peanuts. Make sure the powder is coarse. The dal and peanut pieces should not be big or else they will cause the khatkhati to break.
2. In a pan add jaggery and water. Also add in the coconut.
3. Add ghee, chana dal and peanut powder as well.
4. Add cardamom. Mix well. This mixture will start to leave water. Stir occasionally. When most of the water has dried out, the mixture will begin to stick together as a ball. That is when the mixture is ready for making khatkhati.
5. Let the mixture cool for 2 minutes or so after turning the heat off. Apply little ghee to your hands. Be careful as the mixture will be hot. Take a little bit of mixture in your hand. Form into a ball and then press it down.
6. Set the khatkhati aside for cooling. Once cool store in a container. They store for about 15 days at room temperature and around two months in the refrigerator. But they will be gone pretty soon, especially if you have kids! Some people do not add peanuts and chana dal to the mixture, instead make it with just jaggery and coconut and then decorate with a cashew nut on top. You can prepare it either way. Enjoy!