A typical bengali preparation of fish pulao cooked with fish head (Rohu or Katla) and rice
1. Cut tomato, onion and potato in small pieces. Make pastes of ginger garlic, and green chili.
2. Wash rice and keep in a bowl.
3. Coat pieces of fish head with salt and turmeric powder.
4. Fry the fish head and keep aside
5. Fry potato pieces with 1/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch of turmeric powder and keep in a dish.
6. In the oil of the pan add bay leaves, cumin seeds and saute.
7. Add onion cuts, fry till light brown , then add tomato cuts and fry a little.
8. Add ginger- garlic and green chili paste. Then add rice , mix the whole content and roast for 5 minutes
9. Add ½ cup of water, allow to cook 5 minutes , stir to mix
10. Add fried fish head pieces stir to mix
11. Add ½ cup or so of water and cover the pan
12. Cover the pan with a lid and allow to cook for 15 minutes till the potato is fully cooked.
13. Add garam masala mix properly.