This recipe uses fresh water fish like Aar, katla or rohu cooked in authentic Bengali mustard gravy.
1. Marinate the fish pieces with salt and turmeric powder
2. Soak mustard powder in ï¿½ cup of water with little salt for 5-10 minutes. Mix it well Note - You can use homemade mustard paste and add water to make the liquid.
3. Heat oil in a deep pan or kadai. Fry the fish in oil and keep in a dish
4. In the remaining hot oil, add Kalonji and let it fry for 20-30 seconds. Add the mustard paste and ï¿½ tea spoon turmeric powder, cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add 1 cup of water. Add salt to taste and half-cut green chili (3-4). Cook the gravy in low flame for 3-4 minutes. Add the fried fishes. Add salt to taste, cover the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes.