Chick peas cooked in coconut gravy served with brown rice or wheat bread (poey).
1. Soak chick peas for about 2 hours. Boil them in pressure cooker for 3 whistles and set aside.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil, saute 2 chopped onions and coconut together till light brown and set aside.
3. Add an additional tablespoon of oil and saute red chillies, coriander seeds, cloves, poppy seeds, cinnamon and nutmeg lightly.
4. Grind the roasted ingredients and including coconut and onion to a thick paste.
5. Heat rest of the oil in another pan, add Jeera seeds and saute the other 2 choppedonions, curry leaves add turmeric powder and Stir in spice paste, fry it for 5 minutes till oil starts to separate.
6. Mix boiled chick peas and add 2 cups of water, tamarind juice and salt to taste. Let it cook for approximately 20 minutes.