An authentic preparation of biryani made with basmati rice and chicken and exotic spices
- Cuisine North Indian
- Course Main Course
- Serves 4
- Method Stovetop
- Difficulty Hard
- Cook Time 23 hour(s) 20 minute(s)
1. Marination of the chicken - It is recommended that the chicken should be marinated overnight. If it is not possible, then it should be marinated for at least 3 hrs before cooking the Biryani.
2. Clean the chicken and keep it in a bowl. Cut the coriander leaves, mint leaves and green chilies.
3. Add 1/2 cup of cut coriander leaves, 1/2 cup of mint leaves and cut green chilies to the chicken. Add ginger paste, garlic paste, yogurt, lemon juice, garam masala, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and 2 teaspoon of salt.
4. Mix it well. Make sure all the chicken pieces are generously coverd with the marinate and keep it over night in the refrigerator.
5. Biryani Preparation - Cut the onions length wise(long). Set aside the remaining 1/2 cup of chopped coriander leaves and 1/2 cup of chopped mint leaves.
6. Heat oil in a pan and fry the onions. Keep stirring so they do not burn. Fry till they are evenly golden brown.
7. Once done, take half of the fried onions and mix with the marinated chicken. Keep the other half aside to be used later as garnish.
8. Wash the basmati rice and let it soak for at least 30 minutes.
9. Heat a large cooking pot and pour 2 tbsp of ghee on medium heat. After 2 minutes, add the bay leaves, cloves, green cardamom, black cardmom, peppercorns and cinnamon stick in the pot. Stir for a minute and put the heat to low.
10. Add 5 cups of water to the pot and let it boil. Add 2 teaspoon of salt and the basmati rice. Let it cook until the rice is half cooked (if you bring out a grain of rice, only the outer covering should be soft and cooked).
11. Drain the water and keep the half cooked rice aside.
12. Take a cooking pot with a wide mouth and spread the marinated chicken on its base along with any juice present in the pot. Make sure you don't overcrowd the chicken.
13. Spread the remaining 1/2 cup mint and 1/2 cup cilantro leaves and potatoes over this. Now layer it with the half cooked rice.
14. Mix a pinch of orange color powder and the saffron with milk and mix it well.
15. Make some holes on the rice cover and pour this saffron/color mix through each of these holes. Also, add 2 tablespoon of Ghee and 1/2 teaspoon of kewda in the holes.
16. Finally top it with 2 pinch green cardamom powder, 2 pinch of nutmeg powder and the remaining fried onions.
17. Cover the pot. Make sure this is tightly covered so that the steam does not escape. If you are using a flat cover put a heavy object on top of the cover to put it in place. You can optionally use dough to seal the edges.Take a tawa or a thick pan and put it on high heat. When it is hot, take the pot with the Biryani and place it on top of the tawa or pan.
18. This is done to provide indirect heating. Let it cook on high flame for 5 mins. Now lower the flame to medium and cook for 20 mins. Reduce the heat a very low and cook for another 25 min.
19. The biryani is ready to be served. Gently remove the cover, and serve. When serving make sure you dig deep into the pot till you reach the chicken in the lowest layer and mix the rice and chicken. Additionally, you can boil 2 eggs and Add inside the biryani for the last 20 minutes of steaming.