Chiwdo is a traditional sweet savory snack made in Goa with flat rice.
1. Roast cumin seeds and powder. Roast asafetida and powder. If you cannot find shankar chaap hing which is in its raw form, you can use powdered asafetida as well.
2. In a bowl take powdered sugar, cumin powder, turmeric powder, asafetida and salt. Mix well and set aside.
3. Heat the oil. Once hot, add the flat rice and fry them till they blow up.
4. After removing the flat rice from the oil, immediately sprinkle powder so that it attaches to the flat rice.
5. Fry the roasted peanuts. Sprinkle the powder.
6. Fry the roasted chana dal. Sprinkle the powder.
7. Fry the curry leaves and fry green chilies.
8. Fry the coconut slices as well till golden brown and the cashew nuts as well. Sprinkle powder on the cashew nuts and coconut slices.
9. Mix all the fried ingredients and fried flat rice together. Add any remaining powder and mix well. Let the chiwdo cool. Once cool store immediately in an air tight container. This chiwdo if stored properly lasts about 20-30 days. Enjoy with your family and friends during Diwali.