A wide variety of sweet and savory snacks mark the beginning of Diwali. Here is a sweet savory tapioca mixture, another recipe from my mother's book.
1. Roast cumin seeds and powder. Roast asafetida and powder. If you cannot find shankar chaap hing which is in its raw form, you can use powdered asafetida as well.
2. In a bowl take powdered sugar, cumin powder, asafetida and salt. Mix well and set aside.
3. Heat the oil. Once hot, add the tapioca balls and fry them till they blow up. These sabhudana are larger in size and called nylon sabhudana.
4. After removing the tapioca balls from the oil, immediately sprinkle powder so that it attaches to the tapioca balls.
5. Fry the roasted peanuts. Sprinkle the powder.
6. Fry the roasted chana dal. Sprinkle the powder.
7. Fry the curry leaves and fry green chilies.
8. Fry the coconut slices as well till golden brown. Mix all the fried ingredients and fried tapioca balls together. Add any remaining powder and mix well. Let the chiwdo cool. Once cool store immediately in an air tight container. This chiwdo if stored properly lasts about 20-30 days. Enjoy with your family and friends during Diwali.