Bittergourd, or karate as known in konkani, is not everyone's favorite vegetable. But when it is prepared in this Goan fashion it is finger licking good with minimal to no bitterness to it. This recipe is a perfect accompaniment to a Goan vegetarian meal.
1. Peel the bittergourd, deseed it and cut into thin strips as shown. Add salt to it.
2. Also squeeze juice on one lemon. Mix everything well and set aside for at least 15 minutes. This step will help to reduce the bitterness of the karela.
3. In the mean time prepare the coating. You can use rava or coarse rice flour for this. In a bowl mix the rava or rice flour, turmeric and red chili powder.
4. Heat a pan and add oil. Drain the water from the karela. Dip the karela in the coating mixture. Place the karela on the hot pan.
5. Fry on both sides till crispy. Serve hot with a Goan vegetarian meal.