An all time Andhra Favorite-Chicken cooked in Sorrel leaves (Gongura)
1. Marinate the chicken pieces in turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt and ginger garlic paste and keep aside for an hour. It can also be left in the refrigerator overnight.
2. In a pan add sorrel leaves, coriander leaves, green chillies and mint leaves. Cover with lid and cook until soft.
3. Grind the leaves into a fine paste and keep aside.
4. Grind the onions and curry leaves into a fine paste and keep aside.
5. Heat oil in a pan, add onion curry leaves paste and saute continuously on medium for 20 minutes until it reaches golden color. If you are a beginner, use chopped onions. Onion paste needs patience to cook properly or it will spoil your entire dish.
6. Add marinade chicken, saute for 4-5 minutes and cover with lid on medium flame and cook for 15-20 minutes.
7. Add sorrel leaves paste and mix. Add the garam masala powder and salt. Add water if needed. Mix and cover the pan and cook until the chicken is cooked all the way.