Growing up this was definitely one of my favorite tea time snacks made by my mom. This is one of the many Goan recipes that are getting lost with time. Hope you all will enjoy these sweet potato dumplings stuffed with sweetened coconut called "chunn"
1. Cut the potato into small sizes, cover with enough water and boil.
2. For the "chunn" or stuffing: In a pan, on low flame, add coconut and jaggery. Mix well and add cardamom powder.
3. Add in the raisins. Stir the mixture well. Cook for around 5 minutes and then set aside to cool.
4. Once the sweet potatoes are cooked take the skins off. Mash all the sweet potatoes till a smooth paste is formed.
5. Now add 1.5 tablespoon of whole wheat flour and a pinch of salt and knead into a dough. The dough is going to be sticky.
6. Place parchment/butter paper on the counter and dust with flour. Apply enough oil to your hands to roll the dough. You might have to keep reapplying oil multiple times during the process.
7. Take a small amount of dough and place it onto the dusted paper. using your oiled fingers spread the dough to make an oval shape. Next add the filling on half of the rolled dough. Pull the cover over to form a half crescent shape, as shown in the following pictures.
8. Heat oil in a pan. Once hot place the "nevryo" onto the pan and fry on both sides till golden brown.
9. Enjoy hot with tea. You can pour a little honey over them if you would like some extra sweetness.