Sold in most of the roadside tea shops in Chennai, this is a perfect evening snacks with tea. After coming here, I learnt to make my own. It tastes even better when it is raining outside and you get to eat hot vadai with tea. You will be surprised how easy it is to make these deep fried goodness.
- Cuisine South Indian
- Course Snacks
- Serves 4
- Method Deep-fry
- Difficulty Hard
- Cook Time 5 hour(s) 40 minute(s)
1. Soak the channa dal and toor dal for 4 hours. Add sufficient water as it will double in size. After 4 hours, drain the water completely and let it sit in the colander.
2. Start chopping the onion, coriander and curry leaves. It should be finely chopped so it doesn?t stick out from the vadai and its easier to eat as well.
3. Once the water is completely drained out of the dal. Take a mixie and add both the dal, red and green chillies, clove, cinnamon, cumin seeds, asafetida and salt. Grind it until all the other ingredients is finely done. It is ok if some of the dal is wholesome. Do not add any water during the whole process as it makes it difficult to get the shape and deep fry as well.
4. Take the mixture out of the mixie and add the onion, coriander and curry leaves and mix well. Now take a kadai big enough to deep fry. Pour enough oil so that vadai should get completely immersed in it.
5. In the meanwhile make balls a little bigger than a gooseberry. Flatten it out until you get a disc like shape. You can do a couple of them until the oil gets extremely hot. To check if the oil is hot, add a tiny piece of the mixture to see if it comes up immediately. If it does not, wait for some more time. If it does, the oil is ready.
6. Carefully add them in the oil and let it fry until it turns into a golden brown. Turn it to the other side and let it fry some more. It should be nice and brown on both the side. Make sure you don?t burn them. Continue making the rest of the batch.
7. Once you fry the Vadais, put them on a paper towel so that it absorbs the excess oil. It tastes really good when you taste it while it is still hot. Make sure not to burn your tongue!