Mutton Sukka is another Manglorean recipe which is loved by all Goans. Mutton is cooked in a lightly spiced coconut poppy based gravy.
1. Dry roast the spices (poppy seeds, cardamon, black cardamon, mace, star anise, bay leaves, cinnamon, coriander seeds, cloves, black pepper, black cumin). Remove and put the spices in a mixer.
2. Next, dry roast the desiccated coconut. Once the coconut begins to brown, add the turmeric, garam masala and red chili powder. Transfer this into the same mixer as well. Add in the water and make a thick paste.
3. In a pan, heat coconut oil. Add in the finely chopped onions. Once translucent, add in the ginger garlic paste. Saute for a couple of minutes. Next add in the cleaned and washed boneless mutton.
4. Cook the mutton till it changes color. Then add in the stock. Cook for a couple of minutes on high flame. Next add in the masala.
5. Add salt. Cook on a slow flame for around 1 hour covered and 30 minutes open, stirring frequently. At the end of cooking, most of the water will have dried out. Garnish with coriander leaves. Enjoy hot with naan or pao.