No Goan picnic or party is complete without "pattice" or stuffed puff pastry. Which is a pastry stuffed with spiced potato filling.
1. Cut a medium sized potato into 4 pieces and boil till soft. Peel and mash the potato and set aside.
2. In a pan heat oil and add garlic to it. Once the garlic begins to turn slightly brown add the finely chopped onion.
3. Once the onion is soft add the turmeric, aamchur, red chili powder, cumin powder, salt and coriander powder. Saute for a couple of minutes.
4. Add in the peas and let them cook.
5. Next as in the mashed potato and mix well. If the mixture is too dry add in water half tablespoon at a time. You do not want the mixture to be too dry or too watery.
6. In an oven pre heated at 400 degree F, line one of the racks with aluminum foil and parchment paper as shown. Sprinkle a little flour on the parchment paper to prevent the pattice from sticking to it.
7. Arrange the thawed pastry sheets and pour the potato filling on half of it. Turn over the edge to form a triangle as shown. Firmly press on the sides to keep the filling in during the baking process.
8. Brush with oil. Arrange the pattice on the lined parchment paper and bake till golden brown at 400 degree F.
9. Veg pattice is ready to eat. Serve hot with ketchup.