Chick peas cooked in a onion and tomato based gravy with spices
1. Pressure cook the chickpeas along with 3 cups of water, salt, and cinnamon. The chickpeas should be soft and not be overcooked and mushy (7 to 9 whistles). Drain the water and keep aside for latter use.
2. Heat oil in a vessel, Add bay leaves, cloves, cardamom and peppercorns and green chilies and saute for a few seconds.
3. Add the chopped onions and saute till transparent. Add turmeric powder, ginger paste, garlic paste and cook for 4 minutes.
4. Add dry spices - cumin, coriander, and garam masala and amchur powder. Fry for a couple of minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes and chili powder and cook until soft and the oil separates, approx 8-10 minutes.
6. Add the boiled chickpeas (keep aside 2-3 tablespoon of boiled chickpeas and mash). Cook on simmer for 5 minutes. Add the left over water and if necessary add another cup of water and bring to a boil. Add the mashed chickpeas and mix well. Simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Add salt to taste, lime juice and turn off heat. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
8. Serve hot as a snack garnished with chopped onions or with bhatura or rotis.