A deep fried jaggery and rice flour pancake
1. Drain the water from the rice that has been soaking
2. Grind the rice into a very fine powder.
3. On a medium flame,take the jaggery in a pan and add 2 tablespoons water and start melting it.
4. Keep a small bowl of cold water next to you and once the syrup start bubbling add a drop of syrup to the cold water.The drop should be hard as a stone,if it is stretching you need to go further in your sugar syrup consistency,you need a hard ball consistency.
5. Turn down the heat to simmer add the sesame seeds and add the rice flour little by little stirring continuously until all the flour has been combined without lumps.
6. Finally add the ghee and stir.
7. Heat the ghee or oil for deep frying on low-medium flame.Divide the dough into 10 balls and flatten each ball into a pancake and gently drop the pancake in oil and fry until brown
8. Remove onto a paper towel.Once cooled press down with a roti press or an arise press to remove excess oil.The sugar syrup consistency is very important to get to a hard ball stage so pay attention so that the syrup doesn't burn.The rice flour should not dry up,keep it moist,better to use it immediately after draining water.If your pancake is breaking while frying,lower the flame.Most people have difficulty while frying the dough doesn't hold together,If your frying goes bad don't worry you don't need to throw your dough,you can bake it at 300 degrees for about 1 hour and the taste is just the same.The color of the Arise depends on the quality of the jaggery.