Bangdyachi Uddamethi is a unique preparation of mackerel in which it is cooked in a coconut-onion based gravy with flavors of urad dal and fenugreek seeds.
1. Wash the fish, apply 1 teaspoon salt and leave to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
2. Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a pan. Add 1 teaspoon each or rice and urad dal and 1/2 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds. Roast and set aside.
3. In the same oil, roast the teflam and set aside. Now heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pan. Add 1 cup of diced onion and saute till translucent.
4. Now add the coriander seeds, red chilies and pepper corn and saute for a few minutes. Add in the coconut and turmeric powder.
5. Let the mixture cool. Once cooled transfer into a mixer, add water as needed and grind into a coarse paste. When the paste is done, add in the roasted rice, fenugreek seeds and urad dal mixture and pulse a couple of times. Set the masala aside.
6. In a pan heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil. Add 1 teaspoon urad dal and 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds. Add in the masala. Add water if needed. This is a semi thick gravy so add water accordingly.
7. Add in 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped onion. Let the mixture come to a boil. Once the mixture comes to a boil, add the fish and lower the flame to a simmer.
8. Add in the teflam and solam as well. Mix gently. Let the mixture come to a boil. Serve hot!