During the monsoons when fresh fish is scarce, most fish loving Goans resort to dry fish. Fish is dried during the summer and sold in markets all year round. "Purumeta Fest", which translates to a feast held to sell preserved foods, takes place just before the monsoons so that people can prepare for the fish-less rains. Here is another fish curry recipe made with dry mackerels.
1. Clean the mackerels and make medium sized pieces. Rinse well under water and set aside.
2. In a mixer take coconut, turmeric, dry kashmiri red chilies, coriander seeds, whole black pepper corn and 2.5 cups of water. Make a fine paste.
3. Heat coconut oil in a vessel. Add finely chopped onion and sute till slightly brown. Next add crushed garlic and green chilies.
4. Add in the dry mackerels and saute for a couple of minutes. Then add in the paste.
5. Add kokum/ sola and crushed tefla. Add salt. The fish is usually salty since it is preserved in salt. Wait till the curry comes to a boil, taste and add salt accordingly. Let the curry come to a boil. Serve hot with rice.