Pomfret stuffed with a mixture of coconut, onions and spices and then coated with rava and fried. I was a very picky fish eater growing up and this definitely was the best things my mom cooked to get me to eat fish.
1. Slit the cleaned pomfret into half as shown below. Traditionally the bone is removed, I like to keep the bone in since it gives more flavor to the fish.
2. In a bowl take 2 teaspoons red chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, 3 tablespoons tamarind paste. Add a few drops of water and mix the ingredients to form a ball.
3. Apply this masala to the fish, inside and outside and set aside.
4. Now in a small bowl take finely chopped onion, coconut, freshly chopped coriander, garam masala, and the remaining amounts of salt, turmeric, red chili powder and tamarind paste. Mix well. This is your stuffing for the pomfret.
5. Stuff the pomfret with the masala as shown below.
6. Heat a frying pan and add oil. Roll the pomfret in semolina to cover both sides.
7. Add the pomfret in the hot oil and cook on either side till done. It takes around 4-5 minutes on each side for a crispy crust.
8. Serve hot with a slice of lemon and salad of your choice.