Chandrakala or Gujiya is an Indian sweet popularly prepared around Holi
1. Take the milk in the pan and heat it on medium flame stirring continuously until it comes to a boil; keep stirring ,scrape the sides and keep adding to the boiling milk.
2. After around 30 minutes the milk will reduce by half and come together in a thick creamy consistency. Keep stirring until it loses some more moisture(at any point if you think your milk is getting browned feel free to turn down the flame to medium). After 20 more minutes the milk will lose most of the moisture and will become thick. Turn heat to medium-low and add the 1/2 cup sugar or as per your taste. At this stage add sugar.
3. The mixture will start bubbling. Once the bubbles disappear that is when the kova is ready.add the cardamom powder and slivered almond+ pistachios and combine before taking it off from the stove and let it cool.
4. Take the maida flour in a mixing bowl. Add ghee and mix well.
5. Add milk and combine. Add water little at a time to form a dough. It should be firm like puri dough.You will need between 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup water.
6. Make lemon sized roundles and roll each roundle into a flat disk like a puri.You can also use a cutter to get the perfect round shape
7. Place stuffing in the center and fold it in half. If you have a gujiya press you can use that.
8. Fold in the edges inward to seal. You can either do this with hand or use a fork to press down and seal the edges. Repeat this with all the remaining dough.
9. Take the 1 cup sugar in a separate pan and heat it with 1/4 cup water. Boil the sugar and water into a rolling boil. The test is when you put a drop of the syrup in cold water it will form a light shape but when you shake it, it will dissolve.Keep the syrup warm on the lowest flame.
10. Fry all chandrakanta/gujiya in a medium flame till golden.
11. while it is hot transfer the chandrakala into the sugar syrup and let it absorb the syrup. Garnish it with slivered pistachios. Make sure you seal the chandrakanta/gujiya properly or your filling will ooze out and burn. You can also add some roasted coconut in the filling if you like. Keep the filling slightly less sweet so that syrup and filling don't overpower the sweetness. These will stay at room temperature for 2 days.