This healthy protein rich curry is made with multiple grains of your choice in a onion tomato based gravy.
1. Soak all the beans in water overnight. Wash 3-4 times next morning. You can use any beans of your choice. I have used kabuli chana, masoor, vatana, moong, rajma and lima beans. Transfer the beans into a pressure cooker and cook till you hear 3 whistles.
2. In a mixer make a paste with onion, garlic, ginger and green chilies. Do not add any water. Also puree the tomato.
3. In a pan heat oil. Add in asafetida and cumin seeds. Once the cumin seeds change color add the onion paste and saute for 10 minutes.
4. Add in salt, sugar, turmeric powder, fennel powder, garam masala powder, red chili powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Stir till the oil starts separating from the masala.
5. Add in the tomato puree, stir and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Next add in the boiled grains.
7. Stir, cover and let the mixture come to a boil. Keep stirring occasionally as the mixture can stick to the bottom of the pan. If you want more gravy feel free to add more water at this point. I like mine with a thicker gravy.
8. Serve hot with rice or roti.