A popular and delicious maharashtrian breakfast or anytime snack with flattened rice cooked with onion, potato and peanuts.
1. Cut the onion into fine slices and the potato into small cubes. Keep green chili, peanuts and curry leaves ready.
2. Heat Oil in a kadai or frying pan and then fry the peanuts. Keep it aside.
3. Add the mustard seeds and curry leaves to the heated oil. Then add the sliced onions. Cut the green chili in two halves vertically and add to the kadai. Fry till the onions turn light pink in color.
4. Add Salt, Turmeric Powder and Red chili powder. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the cut potatoes to the Kadai and mix it well. Allow it to cook on high flame for 4-5 minutes. Keep stirring to avoid burning.
6. Cover the Kadai with a lid and allow it to cook for 15 minutes so that potato is fully cooked.
7. Wash the pohe (Chire or flattened rice) separately and strain the water away.
8. Add the washed pohe to the kadai and mix it well. Cover the Kadai with a lid and allow it to cook for 6-8 minutes under medium flame.
9. Add salt to taste and add the chopped coriander leaves. Pohe is ready to be served.