Spicy onion rice made with roasted peanuts, served with raita.
- Cuisine North Indian
- Course Main Course
- Serves 4
- Method Stovetop
- Difficulty Easy
- Cook Time 40 minutes
1. Cook rice separately and chop onions lengthwise. Heat a wide open pan on medium to high flame. Pour ghee in pan. Roast cumin seeds in oil and turn the flame on medium flame.
2. Then put cardamoms and cinnamon sticks in oil and put cut 2 1/2 onions in pan. Let it cook until brown in color. Meanwhile roast peanuts on a tawa or in a microwave for 2 1/2 minutes( make sure not to burn peanuts while roasting in microwave i.e set the timer on 40 seconds, then flip them and let other side cook also. You have to roast peanuts until light brown in color).
3. Now put red chili powder and roast well for 1 minute. After that put ginger powder and pulao masala, roast them well also. Take out onions in a container. Put leftover 1/2 cut onion in pan and cook it just for 3-4 minutes in order to maintain its crunchiness as shown in the picture.
4. Take onions out in a container and roast green chili for 1 minute. Put roasted peanuts in a blender and blend them until half of the peanuts are grounded well and half of the peanuts are slightly coarse in texture.
5. Now put more than 75 percent of cooked rice in the pan and put fried onions over it. Mix very well. Put grounded peanuts and leftover rice over it and mix it very well.