A twist on the traditional Italian dessert made with layers of sponge soaked in coffee, fresh strawberries and cream.
1. Wash and slice the strawberries.
2. In a bowl take 1.5 tablespoons of powdered sugar and 2 cups of sweet red wine and mix well. Add in the sliced strawberries and set aside for at least 20 minutes.
3. To make the mix to soak lady fingers: In a cup of warm water dissolve 1.5 tablespoons of instant coffee powder, 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons of coffee liquor. Set aside till ready to assemble the dessert together.
4. To make the cream layer: In a mixing bowl take mascarpone cheese which has been brought to room temperature. (Mascarpone is a soft sweet italian cheese which can be found in any grocery store in the USA.) To the cheese add 5 tablespoons of powdered sugar.
5. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla essence and 6 teaspoons of coffee liquor.
6. Mix well till all ingredients form one paste.
7. The next part is folding in the whipped cream. I bought ready made store bought whipped cream but you could make your own as well. Folding is the technique where you mix the cream with the cheese mixture without over churning it, a small amount at a time. The cream needs to remain stiff at the end of the process.
8. Keep the mixture aside and get ready to assemble to dessert together.
9. Take a big serving bowl. For the first layer assemble the lady fingers at the bottom of the bowl. You can substitute lady fingers with vanilla sponge cake. Pour the coffee mixture over it to soak the lady fingers.
10. Next add a layer of cream and spread it over all the lady fingers.
11. Next add a layer of the wine dipped strawberries. Add another layer of cream.
12. Continue making layers of lady fingers, cream, strawberries, cream and so on till the entire bowl is filled.
13. Once all the layers have been assembled, take the slab of chocolate and finely grate it all over the top as shown. Put 1.5 tablespoons of cocoa in a strainer and dust the top with it as well. Garnish with strawberries.
14. Place the dessert in the refrigerator to set for 20 minutes and then serve chilled