A local favorite especially during the monsoons when fresh fish is hard to find.
1. Make small pieces of the dry mackerel wash and keep aside. Chop 1 large onion and 3 small green chilies.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add the green chilies. Then add the dry mackerel pieces and fry for around 3 minutes.
3. Next, add the onions, turmeric powder, red chili powder and tamarind paste. Cook till the onions are soft.
4. Add the coconut and cook for another 5 minutes. Dry mackerels are usually very salty so I did not have to add extra salt. At this point you can check the salt and add more as per your taste.
5. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with fish curry and rice.