Appe is a Maharastrian breakfast dish, usually made with left over idli or dosa batter. Here is my version of this dish. It is great way to get your kids to eat their veggies.
- Cuisine Maharashtrian
- Course Appetizers
- Serves 30
- Method Stovetop
- Difficulty Hard
- Cook Time 1 hour(s)
1. In a bowl whisk the curd. Then add in the semolina or rava and 2 cups of water. Add in the salt as well. Let the mixture sit for about 30 minutes.
2. In the mean time cut the tomatoes, onions, green peppers and green chilies. Add these to the mixture. Mix well.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a tadka pan. Add asafetida and cumin seeds. Next add the urad dal and chana dal. Let it brown slightly.
4. Lastly add the curry leaves. Add this tadka to the batter.
5. Add in the fruit salt or eno. Give the batter a very good stir. To make these appe you will need a munk pan. Heat the munk pan on gas on medium heat. Once hot add oil in each compartment.
6. Add a spoonful of batter in each compartment. Cover and let it cook for approx 2 minutes.
7. Gently scrap the appe from the edge using a knife. Turn the appe using a knife and cook for another few minutes. It takes a few trials to get this perfect. The pan has to be hot and well greased. Remove appe on a paper towel. Enjoy hot with chutney.