A famous delicacy from the state of Karnataka. Hot lentil rice with vegetables of your choice.
- Cuisine Kannada
- Course Main Course
- Serves 10
- Method Pressure Cooker
- Difficulty Easy
- Cook Time 2 hour(s)
1. To make the spice mix: Heat 1 tablespoon oil and add 3 tablespoons each of urad dal, chana dal and dry coconut powder, cloves, cinnamon, coriander seeds, cardamom, bay leaves and dry red chilies. Saute for 5 minutes. Cool the spices and grind in a mixer. Set the spice mix aside.
2. Wash and soak the rice and toor dal for at least 20 minutes. Dry roast peanuts till slightly brown.
3. Cut the vegetables into small cubes and set aside.
4. In a pressure cooker add the soaked rice and toor dal. Next add the mixed vegetables.
5. Add 6 cups of water, salt, tamarind paste, peanuts and the spice mix.
6. Mix everything well. Close the pressure cooker and let it cook on a medium flame till 5 whistles.
7. Once 5 whistles go off cool the mixture and transfer the entire mixture into a larger utensil. If the mixture is too dry add some water. Heat it on slow flame.
8. For tempering: Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee. Add mustard seed till they begin to flutter. Next add asafetida and curry leaves.
9. Next add turmeric and red chili powder.
10. Pour the mixture over the rice and add coriander leaves and stir well.
11. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
12. Serve hot with fried Indian chips, pickle or raita.