I tried chicken cooked in daal at a restaurant serving Nepali Himalayan cuisine. Here is my attempt to replicate this mildly spiced chicken gravy with lentils.
1. Wash the chicken. Marinate it with 2 teaspoons of spicy red chili powder, 1 teaspoon turmeric, 3 tablespoons of ginger garlic paste and 2.5 teaspoon of salt. Marinate for at least 1 hour.
2. Wash and soak the whole urad, toor and masoor daals for at least 20 minutes. Pressure cook for 2 whistles with sufficient water to cover the daal. Set aside. Heat the ghee in a pan. Add the asafetida and the whole spices. Saute for a few minutes.
3. Add in the sliced ginger and garlic. Let the garlic brown slightly. Next add in the onion.
4. Once the onions begin to turn light brown add in the tomatoes. Add in the remaining amount of salt and turmeric powder and the kashmiri chili powder.
5. Add in the chicken. Mix everything well. Lower the flame to a low simmer. Cover and let the chicken half cook.
6. Add in the boiled dal and mix well. Add the lemon juice.
7. Add the kasuri methi and let the curry come to boil. Add water if needed and stir frequently to prevent the dal from sticking to the bottom. Cook till the chicken is well done. Add the cilantro/coriander leaves.
8. Stir and turn the flame off. Serve hot with naan or basmati rice.