Monsoon season brings with it many season fruits in Goa, jackfruit being one of them. My mom dries the jackfruit seeds and then uses it to make curry or adds them to vegetables. Dalicho Ros, is a traditional Goan recipe that utilizes these jackfruit seeds. Growing up this was my favorite dal!
1. Peel the shells off the dry jackfruit seeds. Wash the toor dal. In a cooker, add the dal, jackfruit seeds, half of the finely chopped onion and 2 cups of water.
2. Close and cook till one whistle.
3. Turn the gas off and let the cooker sit till the lid pops by itself. In the mean time, dry roast coriander seeds, black pepper corn and red chilies.
4. Next add coconut to the mixture and roast for a couple more minutes until light brown. Add all of the above roasted ingredients along with turmeric in a mixer and grind into a thick paste.
5. In a pan, heat oil and add the remaining half of finely chopped onion. Cook till it turns brown. Crush around 8-10 cloves of garlic. Add to the onions after they are brown and saute for a couple of minutes.
6. Next add in the pressure cooked dal. Also add in the ground paste. Add in the salt. Let the mixture come to a boil. Enjoy hot with rice.