Drumsticks cooked in a coconut based curry, made in Hindu Goan households to replace fish curry on days when vegetarian food is eaten.
1. Peel and cut the drumsticks into 5 inch pieces.
2. Add the coconut, turmeric and red chili powder in the mixture.
3. Add water and make into a fine paste.
4. In a pan heat oil. Once oil is hot add asafetida and mustard seeds. Wait till the mustard seeds begin to splatter.
5. Add in the drumsticks and sauté for a minute or so.
6. Add in the coconut mixture.
7. Add salt and jaggery.
8. Stir occasionally. Cook till the drumsticks are soft and tender.
9. Serve hot with rice.