Vodyo are traditional Goan dried bottle gourd bits, spiced with asafetida and mustard seeds. Here is a traditional coconut based curry with this Goan treat.
1. In a mixer take coconut, kashmiri red chilies and turmeric. Blend until it forms a fine paste with 3 cups water.
2. Heat the oil in the pan and fry the vodyo till crisp. After frying remove the vodyo on a tissue paper to remove excess oil.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the same oil in a vessel. Add mustard seeds and cook till they flutter. Add the fried vodyo, a little of the ground masala and 1/2 cup water.
4. Boil the vodyo till soft. This is very important step because if not cooked properly they will absorb all the water and the curry will become thick.
5. Add salt and jaggery.
6. Add in the remaining masala and water. Let it come to a boil. Serve hot with rice and pickle.