Killh is the konkani word for bamboo shoots. This vegetable is found only during the monsoons. Here is a recipe for this delicacy.
1. Take the bamboo shoot and make insertions with knife on the bottom as shown in the picture. Then cut the part. Peel the hard cover and repeat the steps. The covers are hard and should not be used. Keep peeling and cutting as you go to get as much of the tender portion as possible.
2. Keep a bowl of water ready. As soon as you cut transfer the bamboo shoots into the water to prevent browning. Soak the bamboo shoots overnight. Next day morning rinse a couple of times. Soak again. Rinse once more and then cook in the night. The soaking process is important to take the smell away. Soak the vatana overnight as well. Then boil in a pressure cooker with half teaspoon salt and for two whistles.
3. Boil the bamboo shoots with enough water to cover the top. Add in 1 cup of chopped onion as well. Cook for about 10-15 minutes.
4. Add the remaining salt and turmeric. Add vatana. Boil again.
5. In a separate pan heat oil and add the remaining onion. Take half the coconut and cut into small pieces. Add the pieces to the onion once onion is slightly brown. Add in the garam masala and saute for a few minutes.
6. Add the onion coconut mixture to a mixer with water. Make into a fine paste. Add this paste to the bamboo shoot vatana mixture.
7. Add in the stock cube. Bring the mixture to a boil and enjoy hot. You can also add prawns to this dish.