This is one of my favorite Goan pickles. I remember finishing bottles after bottles of this spicy and tangy pickle when I worked in Goa and had to stay away from home.
1. Slice the ivy gourd into four and set aside. Make sure that the tendli is fresh and not red on the inside. Similarly, thinly slice the garlic cloves and set aside.
2. Heat oil. Add in the fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds and let them splutter. Next add in the asafetida.
3. Add in the curry leaves immediately. Add thinly sliced garlic.
4. Saute garlic till golden brown. Then add in the sliced ivy gourd.
5. Saute the tendli for a five of minutes and then take the mixture out on a plate.
6. To the remaining oil add in the jaggery, salt, red chili powder and turmeric. Add in the vinegar. From this point on stir continuously.
7. Add in the tendli garlic mixture, stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
8. Let the mixture cool completely. Then bottle the mixture into a dry air tight container and store in the refrigerator. Eat within a month.