This recipe recreates the traditional Dhokar dalna which is a dish made from Chana Dal koftas or lentil cakes soaked in delicious Bengali style curry.
1. Prepare the Chana Dal paste: Soak Chana Dal for 6-7 hours in water(room temperature). Drain out the excess water. Add 2 Tea spoon of Ginger Chili paste, 1 Tea spoon of salt and ï¿½ Tea spoon of sugar. Grind the ingredients using a mixer/grinder. Grind it in mixer to form a smooth paste of Chana dal.
2. Heat 2 tea spoon of oil in a deep pan or kadai for 2 mins. Add the Chana Dal paste and fry it till the semi-liquid state is lost (dry the paste)
3. Take a dish and spread 4-5 drops of oil on the surface and spread it. Take the paste from Kadai and spread it evenly on the plate
4. Cut the spread into diamond shaped cubes and keep them aside. Now add 5 Table spoon of oil in the kadai and allow it to heat (4 minutes). Deep fry the diamond shaped cubes in the heated oil
5. Keep the fried cubes aside.
6. Add Cumin seeds and bay leaves to the left over oil in Kadai and fry it for 30 seconds
7. Add the cut tomatoes and allow it to cook for 2 minutes
8. Add the Ginger Chili paste (2 Table spoon), Turmeric Powder (1/2 Tea spoon), Cumin Powder (2 Tea spoon), Salt (1 Tea spoon) and Sugar (1/4 Tea spoon). Stir it well for 2 minutes
9. Add 2 cups of water and let it come to boil. Then add the fried cubes
10. Allow it to cook for 5-6 minutes. Add Salt to taste,Garam Masala powder and Ghee . Cover the Kadai with a lid for 1 minute and then turn off the flame