Perfect warm soft homemade dinner rolls. Nothing can be more nostalgic than a home filled with the aroma of fresh bread.
1. In a bowl put 1/4 cup warm water and sprinkle the yeast over it. Let it sit for 10 minutes till a foam is formed.
2. In a large bowl add salt, sugar and melted butter.
3. Add in warm milk and 2 eggs.
4. Whisk the mixture well. Next add in the yeast foam and whisk once more.
5. Add in 6.25 cups of flour one cup at a time and keep whisking.
6. The mixture will begin to get thicker and form a dough. At this point use your hands to knead the dough well.
7. Set the dough aside. Cover with wet muslin cloth and let it rise till it doubles in size. It usually takes 30-40 minutes
8. Dust the kitchen counter with flour. Place the dough on top and dust with some more flour.
9. Cut into 18 equal parts.
10. Grease and dust a baking pan.
11. Make small balls of the dough and place in the baking pan with 1/2 inch distance.
12. You can also make various shapes of the dough as shown below.
13. Cover the rolls with wet muslin cloth once again and leave it to rise for 20-30 minutes. In the meantime preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
14. Place the rolls in the lower 1/3 of the oven.
15. In a bowl beat one egg for egg wash. Brush the rolls with the egg. This helps to give the rolls a golden brown color.
16. Bake the rolls for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Enjoy warm with butter or curry of your choice.