Every Goan is familiar with the delicious of Goan Sannas which is a steam rice cake. Growing up there were two versions a sweet one with jaggery and a plain one which was eat with sorpotel. This recipe is for the plain sanna
1. Wash and soak the rice overnight or for at least 6 hours. drain and grind to a fine paste with coconut and a little water or toddy, if using to a thick smooth paste.
2. If using yeast, mix 1 tsp sugar with 1/2 cup warm water in a bowl and sprinkle the yeast over it. Leave for few minutes to froth.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the rice-coconut paste, sugar, salt, and yeast mixture or remaining toddy , and enough water to make a think batter. Cover bowl and leave to rise, undisturbed, in a warm place for at least 4 hours or till batter doubles in volume.
4. Grease small steaming moulds. pour a little batter into each mould , leaving enought room for it to rise
5. Steam for 10-15 minutes till fluffy but cooked through. sanna are traditionally served with sarapatel
6. Ready to serve