Ridge gourd, locally known as Ghosale, is one of my favorite vegetables. Here is my mom's recipe for making this delicious vegetable with the simplest ingredients.
1. Peel, cut and remove the seeds and mushy center from the ridge gourd. Cut into long pieces and keep aside.
2. In a pan heat coconut oil. Add asafetida and mustard seeds. Cook till seeds splutter.
3. Add in the ridge gourd and coconut.
4. Add in the jaggery and salt. Mix well, cover and cook till most of the water evaporates, stirring occasionally. You do not need to add any additional water to this vegetable as it will release its own juices.
5. Serve hot with chapatis or as an accompaniment to fish curry and rice.