This dish is a chutney made by combining ridge gourd or Tori with variety of dals to create a spicy chutney.
1. Peel just the ridges and Cut the ridge gourd into pieces. Do not peel the skin.
2. In a pan, add 1/2 tablespoon oil. Add the ridge gourd pieces, salt and turmeric and mix well.
3. Add the green chilies and garlic and roast till the vegetable is soft.
4. Add tomatoes and roast until tomatoes are also soft ,switch off the stove and let it cool.
5. Transfer the contents of the pan into a grinder, add cumin and grind to a paste.
6. Take a pan add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil,add urad dal and Chana Dal. Fry them for a while till they become light brown in color, add mustard seeds and fry till they splutter. Add curry leaves ,let them splutter and transfer all the tempering into the ground paste.If your tomatoes are not tangy enough you can add 1/4 teaspoon of tamarind paste while grinding.If you want you can keep some of the roasted green chilies on the side and add them while grinding depending on the spice level needed.This preparation goes well with rice /ghee and roti as well.